Skip to content
UN General Assembly President 2021 : Maldives’ foreign minister Abdulla Shahid elected as president of UN General Assembly
Two minute reads :
Abdulla Shahid, the Foreign Minister of Maldives, has become the President of the 76th session of the UNGA.
Shahid garnered 143 votes out of 191 ballots cast.
He will succeed the Turkish diplomat Volkan Bozkir who presided over the 75th session that came amid the pandemic.
- According to the established rules of regional rotation, the President of the 76th session of the General Assembly was to be elected from the Group of Asia-Pacific States.
- The President of the General Assembly is elected every year by a secret ballot and requires a simple majority vote of the General Assembly.
The Presidency of the General Assembly rotates among the five regional groups –
- The Group of Asian States
- The Group of Eastern European States
- The Group of Latin American
- Caribbean States
- The Group of African States
- The Western European and other States Group.
India’s Support to Shahid –
- While Afghanistan was the first to announce participation, the Maldives was the first to declare its candidate’s name in December 2018.
- Kabul announced the name of Zalmai Rassoul in January 2021.
- By then, India, like many other countries, had already pledged support to the Maldives.
- India announced its support for Abdulla during the visit of Foreign Secretary Harsh Shringla to the Maldives in November 2020.
Important takeaways of UN’s Assembly :
- Formation : 1945
- Headquarters : New York
Thanks for reading :-