Skip to content
Second Indian woman in space : Sirisha Bandla will become the second Indian born to fly in space
Two minute reads :
A woman of Indian origin Sirisha Bandla will become the second Indian-born woman to fly into space after Kalpana Chawla.
The Indian-American astronaut, Bandla will be one of the six crew members abroad Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic flight ‘VSS Unity’.
Key points :
- Virgin Galactic spaceflight Unity 22 is scheduled to blast off to space on July 11, 2021 from New Mexico.
- The crew includes Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Galactic, and 3 mission specialists.
- The six-member team includes Dave Mackay, Michael Masucci, Colin Bennett, and Beth Moses.
Important facts :
- Sirisha Bandla will become the second India-born woman to fly to space.
- Bandla will be the fourth Indian to fly into space.
- Kalpana Chawla, Rakesh Sharma and Sunita Williams were the other Indians who went into space prior to Bandla.
- Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group is set to become the first billionaire to go to space, beating Jeff Bezos’ space flight by nine days.
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is also going to make a spaceflight onboard the New Shepard spaceship, which is scheduled for July 20.
About Srisha Bandla :
- The 34-year-old aeronautical engineer was born in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district and brought up in Houston, Texas.
- Sirisha Bandla is the Vice President of Government Affairs and Research Operations at Virgin Galactic, the company that has made the spacecraft.
Important takeaways of Virgin Galactic :
- Founded : 2004
- Headquarters : Mojave
- Founder : Rechard Branson
Thanks for reading :-