Mohali International Hockey Stadium renamed as Balbir Singh to mark his anniversary of death
Two minute reads :
” Olympian Balbir Singh Senior International Hockey Stadium “
The Mohali International Hockey Stadium in Punjab Was dedicated to legendary centre forward Balbir Singh Senior on his first death anniversary.
- Legendary hockey player had passed away on 25 May, 2020.
- He died at the age of 96.
Balbir Singh Achievements :
- He was part of the Indian teams that won gold at 1948 London Olympics, Helsinki 1952 & Melbourne 1956.
- He was also the manager of India’s only World cup winning side in 1975.
- He also served as the Director, Sports Department, Punjab.
- The Punjab government had honoured the legend with Maharaja Ranjit Singh Award in 2019.
- His record for most individual goals scored in an Olympic men’s hockey final remains unbeaten.