Skip to content
Israel tests Airborne Laser Weapon successfully : World first Airborne Laser Weapon
Two minute reads :
Israeli Military has successfully testes airborne high-power laser weapons that can shoot down drones mid-air.
Key points :
- This new laser weapon would use tracking technologies similar to C-Music’s but would destroy targets by heating them up so they catch fire in “a few seconds”.
- The weapon has been developed by the Defence Ministry of Israel and the Defence Contractor Elbit Systems Ltd.
- The unnamed laser weapon will be incorporated into the country’s multi-tier defence systems.
- For the test series a high-power laser weapon system (HPL-WS) was installed on an aircraft and tested in a number of scenarios.
- It successfully intercepted and destroyed all of the UAVs that were launched throughout the test at different altitudes and ranges.
- The laser system has yet to be named, but it might be integrated into Israel’s multi-tier air defense network, which includes the Iron Dome system, which is designed to take out short-range rockets.
- Elbit makes C-Music, a defence system fitted to aircraft which uses a laser to “blind” incoming missiles.
- The airborne version of the laser weapon will have an advantage as it can be easily operated over clouds, eliminating the bad-weather disruptions that can afflict ground-based lasers.
- The laser system will add a new layer of protection at greater ranges and in facing a variety of threats – securing the State of Israel while saving the costs of interception.
Laser weapon :
- Laser weapon is a directed-energy weapon which are based on lasers.
- As of January 2020, directed-energy weapons including lasers are currently at experimental stage despite several R&D.
Thanks for reading :-