Skip to content
Food Waste Index Report 2021, recently published by UNEP
Two minute reads :
The United Nation Environment Programme ( UNEP ) published the “Food Waste Index Report 2021”.
It was prepared by using data from 54 countries and then extrapolated to the remaining countries.
- As per the UNEP report, estimated 931 million tonnes of food were wasted across the world 2019.
- The Food Waste Index Report aims at supporting the goals of SDG 12.3 .
- The agency also highlighted that this amount of wasted food can circle the earth 7 times.
- The index report was published by the UNEP in collaboration with the parteners organization WRAP.
Out of total waste generation:
- Households accounts sixty one percent (61%) of waste
- Food services accounts for twenty six percent (26%) of waste
- While the retail accounts for thirteen percent (13%) of waste
- Estimates suggest that 8-10 % of global greenhouse gas emission are associated with food that is not consumed.
- Food waste also has a sustainable environment, social & economic impact.
Important takeaways of UNEP for all competitive exams :
- Formation : 5 June,1972
- Headquarters : Nairobi (Kenya)
Thanks for reading :-