Skip to content
China’s first mars rover named ” Zhurong “
Two minute reads :
China has announced the name of it’s first Mars rover as Zhurong, which in Chinese tradition means the mythical God of fire and war.
The rover carries panoramic and multispectral cameras and instruments to analyze the composition of rocks.
Zhurong will aslo investigate subsurface characteristics with ground penetrating radar if all goes according to plan.
- The solar powered rover is aboard the Tianwen – 1 probe that was launched in July 2020 and reached the red planet’s orbit on February 24, 2021.
- The Tianwen – 1 mission is a part of China’s ambitious space plans that include landing a human on the moon.
- Tianwen -1 goal includes analysing and mapping the Martin surface and geology, looking for water ice and studying the climate and surface environment.
Key points of China’s first mars rover :
- Zhurong was chosen over Hongyi, the name favoured by many space scientists in China and which means ” To have an open mind “.
- Zhurong was the most popular of 10 shortlisted names for a public vote and that choice was backed by an expert panel.
- China would become the third country after the former Soviet Union and the US to land a robot rover on Mars.
- The rover’s title fits with the Chinese name for Mars — ” Huo Xing, ” Or fire star.
- The top candidate for the landing site is Utopia Planitia, a rock strewn plain where the U. S. lander vinking to touched down in 1976.
Important takeaways of China :
- Capital : Beijing
- President : Renminbi
- China President : Xi Jingping
Thanks for reading :-